Last Updated on September 11, 2020
The Best Canvas Camping Tents: Quick List
- Kodiak Flex-Bow Deluxe Canvas Tent
- White Duck Alpha Canvas Hunting Wall Tent
- Colorado Canvas Hunting Wall Tent 10×12
- Colorado Canvas Hunting Wall Tent 12×14 Deluxe
- Colorado Canvas Hunting Wall Tent 14×17
- Kodiak Canvas Cabin Tent with Deluxe Awning
- Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent
- Montana Canvas 12′ x 14′ Wall Tent
- Marmot Tungsten Backpack Hunting Tents
A good hunting tent is going to be durable, hold up in all weather conditions, and have good space inside. Most of the camping tents we recommend for hunting are canvas tents. These are some of the best hunting tents you can find. They are made for cold weather, all have stove jacks, and are perfect for a backcountry elk or deer hunt. Most of our hunting tents are canvas wall tents. We do have a backpacking hunting tent as an option as well. We have researched all the options for hunting tents, with durability, strength and space as the highest priorities, and recommend Kodiak Flex-Bow Canvas Tent as your best option.
Last update on 2021-08-05 / Source: Amazon Associates
In addition to our best canvas camping tent pick, we have identified some other canvas tents for specific needs. We have included the best canvas wall tent, teepee tent, cabin tent, and bell tent. We have also selected a canvas truck tent options and include how to care for your canvas tent at the end of this article.
The Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Deluxe Tents are some of the best canvas tents for sale and should be your top pick if you’re looking for the best combination of comfort and durability with an easy set-up. There are many campers who swear by canvas tents, and the Kodiak brand is one of the favorites. If weight and pack size aren’t an issue and you take care of your gear, the Kodiak tents will reward you with a tent that will last for years.
Our favorite size is the 4 person 9′ x 8′ canvas tent. With a 6’1 ceiling height, this tent has plenty of room inside. The tent was designed to provide maximum comfort while being as durable, sturdy and easy to set-up as possible. There are different styles of canvas tent options to choose from on our list, but Kodiak Canvas’ commitment to ease of set-up and value, makes it one of the best selling canvas tents on the market.
Again, the Kodiak Flex-Box tents are specifically known for the following: easy enough for 1 person to setup, natural cotton canvas material that stays warm in colder temperatures and cool in warmer temperatures, extreme durability, and good weather performance for most weather conditions. The tent is a stand out for desert or beach camping such as surf trips or Burning Man where blowing wind and sand are no match. Hunters swear by Kodiak tents as base camps during hunting season. When not being used for specific tasks, they make fantastic family camping tents.
he Flex-Box Deluxe is part of Kodiak Canvas’ Flex-Bow tent lineup. The tent offers a quick, easy, one-person setup that you don’t find often when looking for a canvas tent. The tents feature Hydra-Shield 100% Cotton Duck Canvas which is durable, watertight and breathable. The Flex-Bow keeps a tight pitch with an exceptionally sturdy frame and heavy-duty 12-inch steel rods and stakes. There are two large D-shaped doors located at the front and back of the tent. Four large windows with no-see-um mesh along with two funnel-flow vents help improve air flow and temperature management. Inside the tents are spacious with 6’6″ ceiling height which provides walk-around comfort as well as a customizable gear loft and organizer pockets. The floor is a heavy-duty seamless 16 oz vinyl that is polyester reinforced for added strength and resistance to the elements. Additional features include a large 72×78-inch awning and handy strap-and-cinch storage bag for convenient roll up. The sturdy frame is manufactured from 1-inch galvanized steel tubing while the Flex-Bow Rods are 3/8-inch solid spring steel.
The Flex-Box tent holds up to intense weather including hard rain and winds using their Trademarked Hydra-shield canvas, good design, and a tight pitch. The natural fabrics in the tent body and good airflow, reduces condensation and the tent handles hot weather very well with such great ventilation. The Flex-Bow is rated for All-season use year-round, but there is a disclaimer on their website that it is not designed for extreme winter mountaineering or heavy snow accumulations. Read All Customer Reviews on Amazon
The Alpha Wall Tent from White Duck Outdoors is an excellent choice for a canvas wall tent. The tent is offered in 2 sizes: 10′ x 12′ and a large 16′ x 20′. The Alpha Wall tent uses Grade-A premium Double Fill “Army Duck Canvas” using weightless WR (Water + Mildew) treatment and maintaining the natural breathability of 100% cotton using their proprietary brand of Canvas DYNAGUARD! Side walls are 5’ high and Center Peak height at 8’.5” (9’ in size 16’x20’) to make a spacious unobstructed space inside the tent. Using a Silicone based chemical allows White Duck canvas to achieve much higher water repellency as opposed to the traditional wax treatment which adds extra weight and inconsistent water repellency.
This canvas tent is tough, weatherproof, heavy duty, warm and a great value – it’s manufactured by a company with a great reputation that stands behind their products in White Duck Outdoors.
Other Key Features Include:
- Tent includes the complete tent with Aluminum Frame, Rafter Angle Kit/Couplers and Free Floating PVC floor.
- Wall Skirting – Each tent features a mud flap that is sewn onto the tent ground seam at the bottom of the tent and extends beyond the tent floor. Tent Wall skirting is made from weatherproof, high UV resistant, heavy duty 16 oz. Polyvinyl for a weather tight seal and to soil it down from all the elements.
- Ground Sheet – Heavy duty Poly Vinyl High Density Coated 16 oz. Groundsheet to fit tent and keep the elements out.
- Stove Compatibility – The tent includes 5” oval heat resistant silicon coated Stove Jack opening with a weather flap allowing for a 5” round pipe to fit perfectly with the pitch of the roof.
- Integrated Mesh Door & Windows – Our tents have standard bug mesh door and windows made from high quality PVC Dipped UV Resistant No-See-Um Mesh to protect you from bugs and critters.
- Windows – Tent has durable 3-layer storm, large triangular distinctive windows for letting in natural light without losing the heat from your stove, better ventilation and clear views.
- Pro Guy Lines & Tensioners – Complete with Polyester UV resistant 8 mm Dura rope, proprietary elasticated shock absorber 5 mm bungee cord system and triangular metal rope tension adjusters that keeps the tent guy points (highest stress point) with extra play in heavy winds.
- Frame – The tent comes with Frame Modular Poles which are constructed of a 1.181” (30 mm) diameter anodized aluminum. The aluminum is extruded to be of a consistent .079″ (2 mm) thickness.
- Pegs & Pins – The tent comes with 14” long solid steel V-shaped pegs of 3 mm (1/8”) thickness, 11” long pins of 6 mm (15/64”) thickness to secure your tent to the ground.
The Colorado Wall Tent from the Denver Tent Company is their flagship canvas wall tent. All sizes feature a Standard and Deluxe model and various flame resistance and water proofing combinations. The Colorado Wall tent uses Marine Grade Boat Shrunk Sunforger, which is a treatment to resist mold/mildew. Options for canvas include 10.10 or 12.63 oz Army Duck Canvas as well as a 10.10 or 12.63 oz Army Duck Canvas Flame Retardant Canvas.
The Colorado Wall Tent is a favorite for hunting, outfitting and anyone wanting a reliable and comfortable base camp. All tents are manufactured with skilled craftsman and each frame is also custom built. If you are looking for a high quality canvas wall tent, consider the Denver Tent company’s Colorado Wall Tent, it’s a solid choice that will last many years.
Other Key Features Include:
- Ridge pole opening with #10 YKK zipper closure
- Reinforced corners and seams
- 3-way vertical zipper door with Nickel Fireman’s snap
- D-ring closure and weatherflap
- Marine-grade, Sunforger, Grade A 10.10 oz. Army Duck Fire Resistant canvas
- 9″ 18 oz Heavy Duty Vinyl Sod Cloth
- Double Spur Grommets at each seam
- 5” Fiberglass Stove Pipe Shield standard in all FR Fabric treated tents
- High End Polyvinyl Self-Sealing Thread
Our Recommended Sizes and Options:
Packed Weight: 112 lbs.
Floor Area: 12×9 ft. Tent space, plus 8×8.5 ft. deluxe awning.
If you are looking for a tent with a lot of featured for extended camping trips, the Kodiak Canvas Cabin Tent might be a good choice. The tent takes significantly longer for setup than the Flex-Box and requires multiple people, but once setup, you have an extremely versatile and comfortable tent for all types of weather.
Like the Flex-Bow, the cabin tent feature Hydra-Shield 100% Cotton Duck Canvas which is durable, watertight and breathable. The Flex-Bow keeps a tight pitch with an exceptionally sturdy frame and heavy-duty 12-inch steel rods and stakes. There are two large D-shaped doors located at the front and side of the tent. Five large windows with no-see-um mesh along with roll up side walls help improve air flow and temperature management. Inside the tent is spacious with steep side walls and a spacious with 7’5″ ceiling height which provides walk-around comfort. The floor is a heavy-duty seamless 16 oz vinyl that is polyester reinforced for added strength and resistance to the elements. Additional features include a large 8′ x 8′ deluxe awning that can be turned into an additional room with the addition of an enclosure kit. The sturdy frame is manufactured from 1-inch galvanized steel tubing while the Flex-Bow Rods are 3/8-inch solid spring steel.
The Kodiak Canvas Cabin tent holds up to intense weather including hard rain and winds using their Trademarked Hydra-shield canvas, good design, and a tight pitch. The natural fabrics in the tent body and good airflow, reduces condensation and the tent handles hot weather very well with such great ventilation. The Kodiak Canvas Cabin tent is rated for All-season use year-round, but there is a disclaimer on their website that it is not designed for extreme winter mountaineering or heavy snow accumulations. Read All Customer Reviews on Amazon
The Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent is the perfect solution for campers looking to setup camp anywhere their truck goes. If you can drive there, you can setup this tent. Because you are up off the ground you don’t need to worry about typical camp site issues that hinder a normal tent setup, such as uneven ground, rocky ground, and flooding. In addition, to staying up off the ground and keeping you dry, it also keeps you up off the ground away from critters such as mice, bugs and snakes.
Like other Kodiak Canvas tents, the Truck Bed Tent feature Hydra-Shield 100% Cotton Duck Canvas which is durable, watertight and breathable. The Truck Bed Tent keeps a tight pitch with a sturdy steel tube frame and clamp-on rails for an easy mount on the truck bed for a secure fit. There is a large D-shaped door with top of the line YKK zippers and covered entry. Along with large windows with no-see-um mesh to help improve air flow and temperature management, there is a cab access window in the rear of the tent. The tunnel shaped design maximizes interior space with a tall 5 ft. ceiling height and the tailgate down design expands useable space. Inside the tent are two convenient gear pockets.
Also included is a convenient carry bag. The Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent is rated for All-season use year-round, but there is a disclaimer on their website that it is not designed for extreme winter mountaineering or heavy snow accumulations. The most most common sizes are the 5.5 ft. – 6 ft. size that fits Full-size Trucks with a Short Bed and the 8 ft. size for Full-Size Trucks with Long Beds. Read All Customer Reviews on Amazon
The Traditional 10 oz Canvas Wall Tent from Montana Canvas is another excellent choice for a canvas wall tent. Montana Canvas use only grade-A, 10 oz. cotton duck treated canvas. The canvas is treated in the USA and provides maximum protection from the elements and includes additional mildew inhibitors to protect the natural canvas. The canvas is fire-retardant meeting the California Marshall fire specifications.
Like our other options above, this canvas tent is tough, weatherproof, heavy duty, warm. Montana Canvas has a great reputation and you should consider this tent if you are looking for a canvas wall tent that will last for years.
Other Key Features Include:
- Stove jack with a weather flap comes in a 5” oval allowing for a 5” round pipe to fit perfectly with the pitch of the roof. This stove jack is designed to withstand the extremely high temperatures associated with the use of a single wall stove pipe.
- Tent has one screened window located in the back wall of the tent. Screened window is 24”T x 30”W and features No See Um mesh to keep out the smallest of insects. Window can be fully closed from the inside of the tent featuring a #5 YKK zipper.
- The tent features a full length internal ridge pole reinforcement on the tent body with additional reinforcement at the gable ends. This allows for years of heavy use when using a lodgepole wood frame. Sewn in storm flaps allow you to close off the gable ends if you are using the Montana Canvas internal frame.
- The tent eaves are constructed of a double layer of canvas which is double stitched.
- Sidewall are a standard full five feet in height.
- The doors open up to a 7’6″ height and feature a heavy duty trouble-free YKK zipper. Tent doors can easily be secured open with webbing and side release buckles. Tent door features a generous weather flap that is secured by easy to use side release buckles.
- The ground seam at the bottom of the tent is reinforced with webbing and utilizes heavy duty brass grommets to allow you to stake your tent from the inside or outside.
- Each tent features a sod cloth that is sewn onto the tent ground seam at the bottom of the tent and extends a generous 12″ beyond the tent floor to provide a weather-tight seal. Compatible with any terrain and weather condition, the sod cloth can be folded inside or extended outside the assembled tent.
- Tent features 12” steel stakes to secure your tent to the ground.
- Each wall tent comes complete with 200’ of ¼” black polyester rope, rope slips (tension adjusters), and a tent storage bag.
The Marmot Tungsten Tent is the best backpack hunting tent. A backpack hunting tents needs to be lightweight, easy to carry, durable, pack down small, setup easily, and protect from all kinds of weather and bugs.
The free standing tent is easy to pitch and does include a few stake points for the rain fly and vestibules. When backpack hunting, you might constantly be on the move. Having a nice, lightweight tent that can be setup and taken down in minutes is a must. The tent also uses a Zone Pre-Bend construction that creates vertical walls, and a more roomy sleeping area and greater head room.
The Tungsten tent holds up to intense weather including hard rain and winds using waterproof seam-sealing, good design, a tight pitch and waterproof fabrics in the rain fly and floor. The tent body is breathable, reduces condensation and the tent handles hot weather very well with great ventilation. To keep weight down, the tent material is a very good balance between weight and durability.
Other Key Features Include:
- Zone pre-bend construction creates vertical walls for roomier sleeping area and greater head room; Strategic clip placement provides larger interior volume
- Free-standing design; Two D-shaped doors and two vestibules for gear storage
- Rain-shield polyester flysheet doesn’t stretch and sag when wet and resists UV damage
- Seam-taped, full-coverage fly with vents; Seam-taped bathtub floor
- Lampshade pocket securely holds your headlamp to provide ambient light
- Color-coded “easy pitch” clips, poles, and fly
Important Considerations for Canvas Hunting Tents
Canvas tents perform throughout all seasons. Canvas is not only breathable, but it takes more time to heat up than synthetics. In the winter, canvas tents can be heated within and maintain temperatures better than thinner synthetic materials. Of course, with their larger size and heavier material, canvas tents take up much more room and are heavier to transport. In addition, they require more maintenance, but if maintained well, they last for years and can even be repaired with a standard thread and needle.
Material – The tents listed above are manufactured from either Cotton Canvas or Army Duck Canvas. Both are a woven cotton fabric. However, Army Duck Canvas has a much higher thread count, making it smoother to the touch. Army Duck Canvas has a much tighter weave as well, lending to it’s better water repellent characteristics.
Treatments – You will see many canvas tents listed as flame or fire resistant. In addition, some might be listed as flame or fire retardant. Many will be labelled FR. FR and Fire Water Repellent Canvas fabrics meet CPAI 84 requirements for tents. The difference is how the material melts when exposed to fire and at what point the material will self-extinguish. Many states have rules and regulations so it’s important to understand what your local laws require. Do not try and apply treatment to a canvas tent after manufacture, it will clog the thread spaces and make the tent much less breathable.
- Fire-resistant and flame-resistant products are designed to be nonflammable at a chemical level, and to self-extinguish without melting or dripping when directly exposed to extreme heat.
- Fire-retardant and flame-retardant materials have been chemically treated to slow ignition, burning, or actually self-extinguish when exposed to an open flame. The original material must be chemically treated to retard the spread of flames.
White Duck explains the Treatment as the following:
FR finish must comply with the code; CPAI 84.
We strongly recommend to purchase Fire Retardant tents as wall tents are used for extended period of time where stoves for cooking and heaters/AC units are used inside the tent. In order to prevent the tent catching fire, always opt for Fire Water Repellent fabric option. Please keep in mind that the tent is not fireproof and may burn if it is exposed to the flame source for long. Fire resistant canvas will burn as long as flame touches the canvas, but will not burn if external flame is removed. Fire retardant does not prevent sparks from smoke stack from burning “pin holes” in the canvas.
Comfort – If you are looking at canvas tents, you are most likely considering large, long use tents. Your comfort is going to be important at the end of a long day of hunting or hiking especially in bad weather conditions. Most tents are sized to how many standard adults the tent will fit, not including gear and certainly not taking into account extra space for taller or larger-bodied campers. If you want extra space, choose a tent with an extra 1 person capacity. Also consider the number of vestibules and their size to store all your gear outside of the tent while still being protected from the elements.
Durability – Durability goes hand in hand with value and quality. All of our top canvas tents are manufactured by companies who stand behind their products. They provide quality canvas tents built to last. Choosing the right tent to match camping conditions and where you camp are extremely important to the life of the tent. In addition, using proper footprints and understanding that basic tears and holes are easier than ever to repair, will go a long way to extend tent lifespans.
Airflow and Ventilation – You’ll know it when you wake up inside a poorly ventilated tent. Condensation will collect overnight and you’ll wake up to damp and soggy sleeping bags and clothing. Not a nice way to begin the day. When you exhale while sleeping, your breath is giving off about 1 liter of water. For every other person you are dealing with extra liters of water each night. That water vapor needs to go somewhere otherwise it stays trapped inside the tent and can soak gear. Ventilation is an important aspect of a good quality tent so all of the canvas tents on our list provide excellent ventilation. Airflow is more important when facing hot and humid temperatures. Again, we have only picked canvas tents with good quality materials to provide maximum airflow so the tents can be used in a variety of temperature conditions.
Weather Performance – All of the canvas tents on our list were designed to perform well in most weather conditions, keeping you safe, dry and warm. They provide protection against rain, wind and blowing dust, provide airflow in hot weather, and will do quite well when night time temperatures get colder. If you are considering a canvas tent for winter camping, choose a tent with a stove jack from our list so you can camp with a stove to warm the tent.
Canvas Tent Maintenance and Waterproofing
Standard Maintenance – We recommend the following when caring for your canvas tent:
- Keep a Canvas Tent Repair Kit on Hand.
- Try to clean and dry your canvas tent as much as possible at the campsite before packing it up.
- If you can, wash the canvas as much as possible at the campsite with water and let dry.
- Never pack a wet canvas tent away. Mold will destroy the natural fabrics in canvas.
- If you see mold or mildew, wash it completely and let dry. Avoid using any detergents or harsh cleaners as they can damage the fabric.
- If you cannot let it dry completely, hang it or set it up completely when you return home to let it dry.
- If it is still raining when you return home, setup the canvas tent in the rain and leave it up until it has a chance to fully dry.
- Avoid setting it up on asphalt or concrete, as these can cause mold and insect infestations.
Canvas Tent Waterproofing – All of the canvas tents on our list are prepared immediately to be used in the rain. In addition to the natural water resistance that canvas offers, they all have been treated with waterproofing processes. If you keep your tent for years, you will need to re-waterproof. We have written a tent waterproofing article for standard tents but most techniques and products in the article will also work for canvas tent waterproofing.